Today is day 5 in a full week of no school because of snow. Let me just say that my position does not provide paid leave days so no school = no work = no money. Awesome.
I started the first day with blind optimism, my thoughts centering around conceded ideas of days off spent being "productive" and relaxing. (let me just say here why do we think time off needs to be "productive"? What is being productive anyway? I am not a robot I am not producing anything ((as far as I know)) yet time off always holds hands with the ugly beast of productivity)
My goals being high, I didn't take into account something that usually messes up my plans of aweseomness. ME.
See its like the thought that if I buy an MP3 player, then I will exercise. Or if I don't buy a TV then I will watch TV less. Or, if I am snowed in for several days then I will spend that time wisely and do awesome things. The faulty factor in this Cause and Effect equation is a little thing called lack of self control. Messes me up every time. Let me start the explanation of what really happened with a visual:
Monday: (italics are my thoughts)
hurray no school I can sleep in
Drank tea
ordered Christmas presents
Listened to my current favorite records: The Skids (Scottish new-wave/punk band from the 80's) and Men Without Hats (80-90's new wave band made famous by their Safety Dance song & video)
Tuesday:
oh. another day ok.
oh crap the pipes are frozen
Spent the morning trying to re-stroke the fire and figure out why we had no water
Went into panic because no water = no coffee
Braved ice for water/cheese run
Watched Prison Break on Netflciks (When I was in Scotland my rommies and I watched the entire series of Prison Break and it was great bonding, even though quite possibly the most stressful thing I have ever watched. So these days of missing Scotland times & friends, I am re-watching the series. Let me just say that knowing whats going to happen does not make it less stressful)
Pipes aren't frozen just water pressure thingy needing fixing
Filled every trash can and container in the house with water prior to the knowledge and fixing of problem.
Ran out of wood for stove.
Got wood for stove
Wednesday:
You have to be kidding me. Another freakin snow day?!?!
Half of house has no electricity. Replaced broken fuse.
Ran out of money, handmade rest of Christmas gifts.
Tired of Prison Break, listened to online radio. (Now, usually I choose Pandora because it's my favorite online radio, but this day I felt bored of that so I listened to the World Music station on AOL)
Ran out of all my food except potatoes (A couple weeks ago the store put a 10 lb bag of potatoes on sale for the same price as a 5 lb bag. Seeing a good bargain and being a fan of potatoes, I got the 10 lb bag. The only problem with buying 10 lbs of potatoes is now I have to eat 10 lbs of potatoes)
Finished current book, Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carol and started Miracles by CS Lewis
Thursday:
uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
Leaking kitchen pipe
Google + 2 cups of coffee + duct tape = fixed leaking pipe (I always drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning. The first cup of coffee is for basic survival, not walking out in front of moving traffic, not setting the house on fire and so on ((all things that happened while not having any coffee)) The second cup is for problem solving and communication.
Ice melted enough for parents to come visit and take my sister and I to lunch = no potatoes and eating meat = :)
Tried to fix broken MP3 player. Failed.
Tired of radio and finished Prison Break series.
Watched new documentary featuring my favorite artist Banksy, and another great street artist Shepherd Fairey. (It was called Exit Through the Gift Shop and was amazing. Not only did it feature a secret interview with the elusive Banksy, but introduced an artist I had never heard of, Mister BrainWash. MBW is a copy-cat street artist and it was an interesting look at the lives of these 3 artists. Somebody needs to watch it so we can talk about it)
Friday:
crap. I wrote only one lesson plan and never went and fired the kiln. dang.
There it is. I don't know why we think we can change over night. If I'm not spending my time well over the weekend, whats going to change so I would do better during the week? I don't like the pressure of "being productive" during down time. I do what I can and don't sweat the rest.
I don't think our Pappa wants us to feel guilty, especially when we feel guilty for expectations we put on ourselves.
"He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
We just make things more complicated then we need to. As long as the heart of each day is along this verse, then everything else is a bonus :)

No comments:
Post a Comment