Sunday, February 6, 2011

I Have Several Theories About Life and It Always Surprises Me When Other People Don't Adhere To Them

One theory that always gets me into trouble is my secret belief that people aren't offended by the truth, therefor if I state something that is a fact, then nobody should be offended.
This almost never works out.
Sometimes people are more offended by truth then anything else.

I have another theory about teaching that is opposite from all the things learn whilst in school to become teachers. They teach that you shouldn't try to be friends with your students, that you have to go in swinging your authority around like some great flaming sword.
I don't really go for this. I more agree with Michael Scott:
"Would I rather have people fear me or love me? Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -The Office
My theory about teaching kids is first to establish relationships. Real back and forth relationships. This doesn't mean I have them over for coffee and swap secrets. No I still keep a solid teacher/student boundary, but I do show them I care for them. I believe that by earning their friendship first, I can receive some respect, and then behavior is good because they want to be good. Rather then being afraid to be good.
I think to a degree our relationship with the Lord resembles this. Our house bible study has been 1 John which as my sister says "punches you in the face". There is a lot about fearing God and obeying God in those chapters. I think though God would rather us obey Him out of love rather then fear, though still keeping a healthy mindset of who He is.
Just like what I try to do with my students.
So far it has mostly worked. There are a few students who need that flaming sword of authority and then comes the respect. Most students though respond very well and we have had some interesting discussions:

-student in topic of drugs- "A little bit of brain damage is ok."

me- "My life is like a sit-com."
student- "My life is like a lame sit-com where everyone is pissy  all the time."
student- "My life is like Pirates of the Caribbean, I am trying to get something but people keep taking it away and chasing me."

me- "This style of painting is called cubism."
student makes horrified face- "There is a style of painting called pubism??!! They paint about puberty??!!"

student- "This is our earth worm family.' (shows me drawing)
me- "This worm looks sad, why is he sad?"
student- "Because he is an idiot."

Another theory I have is about shooting stars. I believe if you pick a spot in the sky, and stare in that spot long enough, you will see a shooting star. One of my favorite times from my days in Scotland was when my buddies and I went star gazing. We were on a small Island in the Highlands, it was below freezing out, and we were in somebodies driveway. I insisted though that we stay outside until each person had seen at least one shooting star. I think I saw like 3 that night, and some people saw one for the first time in their life that night.
It was my favorite time in Scotland.
My theory has proven true each time. The trick is to stay focused and wait. If you look around too much at the whole sky, then you will get distracted and miss them each time. You have to choose your spot and be dedicated and focused in on that area, while still paying attention for shooting stars.
I think it's kind of like life, as far as what the Lord seems to be teaching me this year. Focus in on what you have right now, the day to day is like focusing on your piece of the sky. Now we shouldn't forget there is a huge world around us, or forget to look out for God as He moves or wants us to move. If we listen God is speaking always, and just like a shooting star if we focus and wait we can hear Him.

3 comments:

  1. A lot of joyous wisdom in this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. You have to keep your focus on God. He controls everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 it SO MUCH.

    I was talking this weekend about one of my favorite teachers in highschool, Mr. Forbess ... Because I had this one kid in two of my classes. his name was jimmy and he was a "trouble kid" always missing class to go smoke weed or whatever... my math teacher, Mr. Hinke, got so frustrated with Jimmy's wisecracks in class one day that he actually walked back there and cracked him upside the head so hard that his hair came out of his ponytail and the hair tie went flying across the room.

    Jimmy was always awful in Mr. Hinkie's class, and Mr. Hinkie treated him as such. After he whacked him, Jimmy was worse than EVER. He knew he had one over on Mr Hinke and he spent the rest of the semester sitting in Mr Hinke's chair with his feet up on his desk, looking smug.

    Mr Forbess, on the other hand, started out the semester pointing out that Jimmy's wisecracks were actually rather clever. When the wisecracks stopped, Mr Forbess went out of his way to notice and point it out whenever Jimmy said something with wisdom in it. If Jimmy wrote a good paper, Mr. Forbess made a big deal out of it and read it to the class.

    Jimmy didn't skip Mr. Forbess's class. In fact, I'm pretty sure Jimmy made a well deserved A+. For like, the first time ever in his life.

    You expect your students to be God's kids and you look on them with His love. That's why they thrive with you as your teacher <3 .

    ReplyDelete