Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Never Thought I'd End Up Here (but I'm sure glad I did)

Sometimes life plays out like movies. The comedic timing is perfect, they say just the right thing. Everything falls into place right where you want it to. I love these moments though  they don't happen all that often. The moments that don't play out like the movies happen more often and unlike the movies, we don't have those convenient flash-fowards of life down the road. You know what I'm talking about, those freeze frames of happy assurance that these characters we've invested our time in turn out ok.

Squintz marries Wendy Peppercorn and Benny the Jet Rodreges makes it in baseball.

Movies have this all the time, little windows into the future, or train box cars telling us everything turns out OK in the end.
People find love and happiness and success. It's nice. I like movies that end like this. You don't have to wonder about the future, and while you don't get to see it, you have tangible assurance that it turns out good.

I also appreciate writers who are clever and everything you see or every person you meet is written in for a reason and a purpose. From a banana stand to the Korean kid hiding in the walls, good writing ties everything up in the end and as an outside viewer you get to see it all.

While I love good books, movies and the occasional TV show, there is a greater story being written by the Greatest Writer of all: LIFE.
While we can't see the end and don't have those nice flash forwards, we do have assurance that it turns out OK in the end.
If good writing does nothing by accident, has the best interests of the characters in mind, and promises a good outcome, then I am a part of the greatest story of all, being written by Him who is the greatest Author of all.

Which is to say its going to be good :)

3 comments:

  1. :,) Most excellent beginning, Kanz! I'm so excited you have a blog I get to follow!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey :) You having a blog is pretty neat! I'll follow you for sure, cause you write well, + it makes me practice my English in a fun way! I sometimes want to blog in English too... I might do it one day!! Hope to see you again, soon... (fingers crossed for 2011!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Stunning picture of Galway cathedral :)

    ReplyDelete