Every time it frosts, I have this problem of not wanting to scape my windshield. If it's icey, then I'll bother, (for awhile I was using a CD) but frost seems less serious somehow and feels like a waste of time.
So I don't scape my windshield thinking oh its just frost....I can see well enough to drive....
This is false.
Ice is ice and half way up my driveway I realize that I can't in fact see anything at all.
Then I reach the top of the driveway and by then the de-frost has melted about a 2 inch square near the bottom.
This is what I use to see out of my icer then I thought frosted window.
For some reason when I look at a frosted windshield, I get this false sense of super powers, that even though while sitting still, I can see nothing, perhaps once the car is on and moving then my blindness will suddenly turn to X-ray vision and the windshield will pose no problem what so ever.
This is an unfortunate conclusion.
Despite my delusion, I still can't see through an icey windshield.
Someone once said the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
Well then, that makes just about every human insane.
No matter how many times I try to drive looking through something icey, and know it won't work, I do the same thing next time.
Insane?
Maybe.
But I think that sometimes this desire to have something unexpected happen can be good. When I was child (ok sometimes still now) every wardrobe I knew would lead to Narinia and I was honestly surprised when it didn't.
Now that doesn't sound insane to me.
I recently got a new tattoo. It's a human heart taken from an old medical diagram.
Its on my upper arm so I often get asked if I wear my heart on my sleeve.
The human heart is a complicated and rather gross looking organ. Society has simplified the human heart into the simple cartoony shape most people associate hearts with.
The actual heart has pumps, and phalanges, and valves and veins.
Human love is more like the simple heart.
Looks nice.
Can be simple.
God's love though is more like the organ with phalanges.
When we love God through God, and people through God it may not always look pretty.
Or simple.
Love is complicated and messy.
It can hurt.
But as humans we are called to love with this real God love.
I don't always do this. I got the tattoo as a reminder that we were made to love and be loved.
I used to wonder why people would get their own name tattooed on themselves. I mean maybe it would be convenient if you ever happened to get amnesia but thats not very likely.
(Besides if Jason Bourne did that then those movies wouldn't be nearly as awesome.)
This morning though I think I get it. When you tattoo something on yourself, sometimes it for other people, but most of the time its for yourself. A reminder. A name is more then a title, it can be your identity and people may need a visual reminder of who they are.
Mine is a reminder that though its not always my first reaction, unconditional love is our calling, our challenge.
Our job.
And unlike my frosted window, we never know what the outcome may be.
:)
I have been listening to Mumford & Sons and the following song is beautiful and talks about love being our purpose:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Sigh+No+More/2Ca3LJ?src=5
Serve God, love me and mend
This is not the end
Lived unbruised, we are friends
And I'm sorry
I'm sorry
Sigh no more, no more
One foot in sea and one on shore
My heart was never pure
And you know me
You know me
But man is a giddy thing
Oh man is a giddy thing
Oh man is a giddy thing
Oh man is a giddy thing
Love it will not betray you
Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free
Be more like the man you were made to be
There is a design, an alignment, a cry
Of my heart to see,
The beauty of love as it was made to be
Kansas. That... was beautiful. I need to start printing your posts out and keeping them around, FOR SERIOUS.
ReplyDeleteI am so tremendously grateful for your friendship. 'Cause you are awesome.
<3
I am glad that you are my daughter.And I am super thankful that you are my friend.
ReplyDeleteI'm in agreement with Sarah. Need to print these out and put them in my devotional journal.
ReplyDeleteI want to graffiti with you.
ReplyDelete