Ever since I was a kid, I have been a huge fan of Popeye.
I blame my dad.
We would watch the cartoon together, make impressions.
I even have a dear friend who is related to a character from the show.
Robin Williams once did a live action musical where he is Popeye.
It was the first DVD I ever bought.
Popeye was a part of my childhood, and I love it.
Recently though I discovered I have an allergic reaction to spinach.
This is most unfortunate.
For some reason eating spinach in raw or cooked form makes my body react in a most negative and uncomfortable way...puking..
I think its very ironic that a Popeye fan such as myself can't eat the very thing that gave him strength.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy to eat spinach. I am always forgetting my bodies hatred for the leafy green plant of unlimited strength.
However instead of unlimited power, killer fighting moves and speed, I am left with a terrible pain and often puke.
Lame.
I am also allergic to cucumbers but that is not disheartening or such an emotional let down as my reaction to spinach. Maybe in the back of my mind I am secretly hoping spinach will give me all those things it gave Popeye. He was just a pretty ordinary dude (disregarding his rather unshapely upper arms muscles) till he popped a can of spinach then he was unstoppable.
I have recently been thinking about the supernatural and the prophetic. I have been thinking about it because lately I don't feel very active in it.
I was sitting in my room the other night and a big ole horse fly was buzzing around my room.
I hate flies.
HATE.
This one was huge and dared to exist in my room. To me flies symbolize negative thinking and besides being disgusting and annoying, they bite.
So I was fed up with this horrible fly buzzing around so I rebuked it and asked God to kill it (yes I did and don't feel guilty) and went outside.
I was sitting in my driveway watching the stars, feeling maybe I should pray or think spiritual thoughts or do something to feel spiritual.
I didn't though.
Instead I sat and did nothing.
For 45 minutes I sat quietly and did and said nothing.
It was the most "spiritual" I have felt in a long time.
I didn't have to do anything or be anyone or even pray, I was able to connect with God in a very real way.
It was cool. I think He was showing me that we don't have to do or say or be anything with Him, that the supernatural and prophetic flows naturally from Him so when we are still we can tap into that.
When I went back inside, the fly was gone.
No dead fly, lying around, and all the windows and doors were closed. It was gone, the Lord took care of it.
With a slight change of perspective, I can now look back over the past week and see the prophetic and supernatural things the Lord is doing all the time.
Popeye seemed to be created (just like most TV shows but thats another blog) to brainwash and manipulate its viewers into eating healthier by giving kids positive association with spinach.
In a similar way I think the church does that. We have this underlining thought pattern that we have to do or say certain things to see God move.
Maybe Popeye did need his spinach, but I am being challenged by what I have always thought I needed to be what Pappa has already given me.
Though I do wish I could eat spinach and artichoke dip without getting sick because that stuff is so tasty. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment