Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Line Between Rational and Irrational Fears Is Occasionally Blurry

Sometimes its hard to separate an irrational fear from a legit fear.

For example whenever I wear my glasses, I suddenly develop this fear that if in sun light too long, my eyeballs will be burned out of my face. This will be caused by my glasses acting as a giant magnifying glass and just like those leaves (I was never an ant burner) I burned holes in as a kid, my glasses will do the same thing to my eyeballs.

Now this is probably an example of an irrational fear and I most likely don't have to worry about it......right?

Other fears though are a little easier to sort out:

Rational Fear:
Clowns

Irrational Fear:
Elijah Wood

Rational:
Snakes

Irrational:
Balloons

And so on.

I was thinking about faith this morning (opposite of fear so it connects!) because I had something cool happen. About two months ago I got invited to a wedding of a dear friend from college. While there for the weekend, another dear friend & I visited Morningstar church. The service was about redemption (which was prophetic to my situation anyway) and the teacher chalenged us to ask the Lord to return to us what the enemy had stolen. Well about a month prior, a branch fell on my rear windshield and shattered it. It ended up costing quite a lot to get it replaced and was payed for with money I had been saving for summer.
In that meeting I felt bold and decided to ask God for that money back, if the earth is His, whats a little money right?
Well this was a couple months ago and I had mostly forgotten it. This morning I recieved my pay check for the month and it was over the normal amount the exact same as the cost of my replaced windeshield.
The Lord completely restored that money to me when I was least expecting it.
I was already feeling overwhelmed by His grace, and turned to my morning reading which was this passage in Psalms:
" I will declare the decree,
The Lord has said to me,
YOU ARE MY SON,
Today I have begotten you,
Ask of Me and I will give you
The Nations for your inheritance
And the ends of the earth for your possession."
Psalms 2:7-9

It was pretty cool :)

                                                

4 comments:

  1. I love it when He surprises us just because He loves us and wants to give us a present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it love it love it! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and ps - I consider clowns a rational fear, too.

    Clowns = rational. Lima beans = irrational. Merging into oncoming traffic = rational. That the road would suddenly turn straight up and become a wall = irrational. HAHAHAHA

    I could play this game all day <3 ... And what is wrong with my brain that I have so many thoroughly irrational fears, but the things that probably should scare me, don't. Like coyotes or bears. But whales make me want to pee my pants? What gives?

    ReplyDelete