The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Now, that is to say while it will always remain my "favorite" I have other favorites, just Blues Bros is my most favorite. (thank you Brian Regan)
Growing up with Michael who is constantly making charts and lists comparing movies, I feel the need to note some favorites before continuing:
1. Blues Brothers
2. The Jerk
3. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
4.The NeverEnding Story
5. Son of Rambow
6. Darjeeling Limited
7. Rushmore
8. Royal Tenebaums
9. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
10. Hot Rod
So theres that.
Ever since I first saw The Blues Brothers I loved it. I especially love Dan Aykroyd as Elwood Blues.
Plus Elwood is a fantastic name. So I started naming inadament objects Elwood.
This has gone terribly wrong.
When I was 18 my parents surprised me with a car for Christmas. It was awesome, an old Jeep and was my first car. So of course, I named it Elwood. That morning I drove it down the driveway and back. (it was Christmas and I had nowhere to go so I just toured the driveway.)
The next day the engine threw a rod and destroyed the whole engine killing the car before I ever got to drive it.
Nice.
My first computer I named Elwood.
It lasted a while but recently died.
I got a killer MP3 Player last year.
Named it Elwood.
It dies one week before its 3 month warranty expired. Then I got snowed in for a week. (This was the week when I was snowed in with my roommates for like 5 days straight and I started this blog to keep from going Jack Nicholson on everyone)
I named my last lap-top Elwood.
I had it for not even two years.
It died too.
(Now I have no computer. (I am using my work computer but I can't check Facebook or my email))
I used to joke about naming my first kid Elwood.
I realize now that is a terrible idea.
I am sad at not having a computer. Though about 3 months ago I got this feeling that my computer was close to dying. I just had this feeling it was coming. So when it happened I wasn't that surprised.
Disappointed yes because I can't afford a new one, but not surprised.
A couple months ago I started getting paranoid about my tires. I had a feeling that I was getting close to a flat. One day on my way to work, BAM flat tire.
Again I wasn't really that surprised. (my tire went flat in my driveway which was lucky. But as it turns out I cannot in fact change a tire (I was trying to remove a hub-cap that didn't exist) so I had to call James to rescue me but for the record I NOW know how to change a tire so thats something right?)
I think the Lord gives us these little heads up. You can call it premonition or whatever sounds right to you but I think its just God connecting to us through the little things.
At MorningStar, Steve used to always compare these moments to the signs on the highway reminding you what highway you are on.
You know those long stretches of highway where you are just driving driving and suddenly forget where you are or what road you are on. (I get paraniod that I have missed a turn or somehow meandered away from where I should be) Then comes this nice little sign reminding you that you are still on I-40 and everything is OK. (I was thinking this weekend how so much of my adult life has been around I-40, its crazy! Between Bible school & MorningStar & school I have spent copious amounts of time on that road)
Those little moments of premonition are I think God just reminding us that we are going in the right direction and everything is as it should be.
That is to say I don't get a heads up about everything.
In fact most things surprise me.
And thats been nice too.
But I do appreciate those "hey you are still on the right road" reminders.
Also, now I know to not ever name anything Elwood unless I hate it and want it to die.
I agree, although I can never remember the heads ups he gave me later on. I should start writing them down whenever I see or hear one.
ReplyDeleteYou are so comically accurate, it is scary.I noticed that one of the tags was "The Shining" which, perhaps donotes a comically acurate scariness..:)
ReplyDelete