This was an unfortunate world view.
When I was 8, I had to take piano lessons. When I started playing and discovered I didn't know how and had to actually learn, I quit.
Hidden talent not piano.
This went on for longer then I would like to admit, often with me quitting after discovering no inner genius for a given skill.
As I got older I figured maybe my hidden talent was just.. er.... more hidden then most people so the best way to find it was through process of elimination. Thus, by figuring out what it wasn't, I could find what it was.
Through this process I discovered my hidden talent is not one of the following:
1. sports (this was never a serious consideration)
2. singing
3. playing banjo
4. yo-yos
5. kite flying
6. dancing (especially contra. the last time I went contra dancing I stepped on 3 peoples feet and punched someone in the face)
7. pottery
8. skateboarding
9. archery *
* When I worked at a camp one summer, we started out by the staff going to each camp activity and trying it, since we might end up teaching it. When we got to archery I was totally excited, I had never tried it and perhaps this would prove to be my hidden talent.
It wasn't.
I couldn't hit the target. The whole time we were there I missed every single shot. In front of all the staff. The last week of the summer the archery instructor quit, and since I didn't have class that week guess who had to teach archery? Yep. Everybody knew I was lousy at this, so when the first class started, they told the kids I was the best archer on camp but couldn't shoot because I would scare them with my talent, that I was so good they shouldn't even ask to see me try. So I taught the class all week without mishap, the kids did great and it turned out to be pretty fun. The last day one of my favorite students asked me if I would demonstrate my skills, since it was the last day. I tried to get out of it but couldn't so I told them I would if we turned it into a "lesson". So I pretended to pretend to not know how to shoot, and let them guide me through the steps. When I was set up and ready to fire, I said a quick prayer and hoped to God I would at least hit the dang target. When I opened my eyes, the arrow was dead center.
(I got cocky and tried again later and missed)
This world view is also unfortunate and rather depressing.
So now I have a slightly different approach, and apart from a bit of swearing I think Natalie Dee words it nicely:
Maybe I don't have a hidden talent, but now at least I can have fun learning and trying.
And I never liked dancing or pianos anyway, which would suck if you had a hidden talent for something you hated.
Just for the record.... at contra you're *supposed* to punch people and step on them. It's in the rules, I swear. =)
ReplyDeletehaha oh good <3
ReplyDelete