Saturday, January 1, 2011

I Don't Believe in New Years Resolutions

It's true I don't really believe in News Year resolutions. Maybe they work for you, but not for me. The idea that I can make a decision to be different, just doesn't usually fly. First off we can only change so much, true change comes from God and usually we are the last ones to notice it.

I think the problem is (for me at least, I understand that some people actually have will power and make great accomplishments with their new years resolutions) trying to approach life all at once, trying to make changes overnight. I think what the Lord is showing me about this year, is that He has the big picture under control, that we just need to figure out how to live today.

David (from the Bible) is known as 'a man after God's own heart" yet he in some ways was quite a hooligan. He stole two women from their husbands, (yes two!) killed one of their husbands, wished people dead and had an affair. Also he at one point danced naked in the streets. He did great things too though, and through it all loved God above all else, even when his behavior didn't necessarily reflect this. The cool thing about this is the overall picture of his life, and accomplishments are overshadowed by His relationship with God. The end picture, the whole story doesn't matter as much, what it really comes down to is our daily relationship with God.

I have recently had some free time and Netflicks and therefor I have been watching a few movies. The last 3 movies I watched though, all seemed to have a common theme.
The first movie I watched (with the common theme) was called Being Human which I only watched because I thought Ewan Mcgregor was in it (he only had one line) but it starred Robin Williams. (I need a disclaimer right now, normally life my does not include this many movies, but every blog so far I have mentioned a movie which is weird and I don't know why I'm in such a movie phase) The movie is about humanity, and their struggle in life. Robin Williams plays a man named Hector, who starts the movie as a caveman, and then goes through different times in history till modern times. Through out the whole thing, he is trying to find happiness. At the end of the movie he asks: "Will things ever get better?" to which his daughter responds: "This is it. This is the best day of your life."
The next movie I watched was an independent film starring Zach Galifianakis called Visioneers. It was a strange movie about people exploding. Nobody knows why people are exploding, they think maybe something is wrong, but as it turns out, something is wrong with everybody else, they stopped feeling. The people explode when they start to feel again. The climax of the movie is the line: "the key to happiness is being happy."
The Last movie I watched was a Coen Brothers film, A Serious Man. The movie starts off with a quote:
"Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you"
This movie was great and I don't want to give it away, but it basically is about living your life and having faith for the end, but enjoying the day to day middle.
I don't have anything for this coming year, just that my focus should be on today. Sometimes I forget how to be a Christian, and I look back at days without prayer or reading my Bible and feel lame. I think that I have to do something big to fix it. God's grace is big enough and all I have to do is fix today.

1 comment: