Sunday, January 16, 2011

Listening to the Radio is Like Eating Someone's Left Over Half Sandwich

I really dislike the radio. On the rare occasion I do turn it on I have high expectations that something awesome will fall onto my ears. I spend minutes searching for a decent song, only to stumble upon the last 30 seconds of something I like. After this disappointingly short taste of good music, I have the crazy assumption that the next song will be good too.
No. This is where I am always disappointed. After rocking out to the last 30 seconds of something great like Free Bird, the radio shoots me with something gross like Elton John or Rush. This starts another cycle of searching stations for something not disgusting and always ends with me feeling let down.
It's like walking into a restaurant and instead of choosing what you want to eat, they hand you somebodies half eaten sandwich.
Satellite radio is only a slightly better option then normal radio. Satellite radio for me is the same in the disappointment category, except there are more channels to go through first. Also the stations are named and that just makes it worse. There is one station on Sirus that I like, station 28. Marky Ramone has a show on this channel, and when he is hosting, the music is great. Classic punk. When the other DJ guys host however, the level of awesome goes down because they play lousy music. Just because someone plays fast and sings non-understandable lyrics doesn't make them a punk band.
I recently was part of a very sexist conversation on satellite radio and women. There was also something about prostitutes and talk radio making people into killers. I did not agree with things said in aforementioned discussion.

I noticed this weekend how music can affect my driving. While listening to channel 28 while they were playing good music, I noticed I tended to drive very fast.
Punk music= fast
Then they played Sum 41 and I wanted to puke so I switched to nice folk music. This found me pondering things like waterfalls, front porches, horses, hot tea and trees. It also found me driving 10 below the speed limit.
The last style of music I attemped on this recent road trip was ska.
This made me drive all over the place and take unnecessary risks. Also I couldn't seem to drive in a straight line while listening to ska.


It was a fun weekend, though as always, filled with many awkward moments. I apparently have a staring problem. Sometimes people remind me of things, and I make these outlandish associations in mind. Usually I start laughing at the joke I am making in my head, but more often I just accidentally end up staring at someone while thinking all these things. Its only awkward when they realize I have been staring and that brief moment of hesitant eye contact is made.
I did that like 3 times this weekend.
Also going to peoples house who make you take off your shoes and that day you decided to where mis- matching socks and one happens to be inside out because the inside of patterned socks are itchy.

Also I think I saw a robot jogging. I noticed him jogging and noted his nicely groomed dread locks. TWO HOURS later I passed him again, and he was still jogging. Not even sweaty.
My only conclusion is that he is a robot. Why else would he still be running after TWO HOURS?!
See I am what I call a casual exerciser. I like walking, and do so fairly often. I don't though like working out, its too much. I am not serious, just casual. If I get some exercise in my daily routine awesome, but I don't go out of my way to find it and I certainly wouldn't run for over two hours.
So naturally I concluded he must be a well groomed robot with nice dreads.

3 comments:

  1. Not to try and give you music suggestions, but their is a radio station, http://www.wncw.org/, that I think you might like. They play some bluegrass, they play some Avett Brothers, they play some Beastie Boys, they play some oldies like Nat King Cole, they play some Sonic Youth. They have a really awesome, and wide, mix. And they don't play anything that is likely to be played on Kiss FM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate half those things. well 2/5 of them

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I was just trying to say that they play a wide selection and not stuff you will hear on popular radio. And that's only a SMALL amount of the stuff they play.

    ReplyDelete