As a kid I also thought movies changed every time you watched them. (this is probably related to my slight tendency towards ADD and not paying attention) I was convinced absolutely, that movies changed just a little each time I watched them. I took this pretty seriously and would point out things that didn't happen the last time I watched a particular movie. I also would watch movies that scared or stressed me out because I thought they would be different this time and not scare me. This was always disappointing and would lead to having to watch that scary movie again, creating a vicious cycle.
I thought that the actors would have to re-act the whole thing every time I watched their movie, and would forget their lines or add new things each time they re-did the story.
As kids we are convinced of strange things. Everyday kids in my class surprise me with weird things that they think. It makes me sad when adults start to correct kids, I remember how sad I was and confused with the Superman ice cream trauma. I suppose adults tell kids these things for their own good, but would I make any less of an awesome adult if I thought the blue in Superman ice cream was the best flavor? I think not.
I do think knowledge is important and I don't want to go through life ignorant, but I do struggle to find that child like faith, that accepts completely and without question truth.
I woke up thinking about the Lord and the Bible verse, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not see" Hebrews 11:1
Faith is a substance, a tangible thing. As a kid my faith in these things that aren't even true was so strong they became true for me. Think about how much more powerful faith in the Lord and His promises are when we go at it with a child like heart. Faith is strange and I don't pretend to fully understand it. Maybe just for me God did let each flavor taste different.
To the outside world, maybe our faith appears as foolish as my belief in Superman ice cream, but isn't that the point of Superman ice cream? To taste each color? I think so.
As we get older our faith may get questioned or judged, but unlike movies being different every time we watch them we are believing in something real no punk-ass jerk face ice cream server can tell us otherwise.
I am listening to my favorite Five Iron Frenzy song and I think Reese Roper as always speaks words of wisdom that apply to my thoughts this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFIMOJ46ofk
Awesome background art!
ReplyDelete