I really am annoyed at frickin Facebook. They made me change to the new profile without my consent. LAME.
My profile now reads "Studied BS education at WCU"............................
Um, no. I have a BS in education. Huge difference there Facebook.
Well actually, thats kind of true too.
So this new profile sums up my existence with my job, education, relationship status and home. This offends me. These things are apart of me, not what defines me.
Its social studies class all over again.
When I was still an elementary education major, I had to take this class on teaching social studies to elementary students. Our first assignment was to right an "identity" essay stating what our gender, social class and race are and why they define us and everyone we know. I disagreed with this and instead wrote about how these things are apart of who we are, but don't define me. I respond to other people not by their race or social class, but who they are inside making the point that someone who is a cheerleader would be harder for me to relate to then someone who is a different race or religion. I argued that how can we judge people on factors such as these when so many others things make people who they are? (I might have stated somewhere that I was racist against cheerleaders)
He hated my paper. He told me I was racist and lying about it, and I was really shallow and did care about social classes and was just lying about it because I wasn't insightful. He made me re-write this essay four times because I wouldn't back off of what I believed. This made an awkward semester.
One day in class he told a joke:
"Whats the difference between Kansas and yogurt? Yogurt has culture."
He then was like "Oh sorry. That had nothing to do with you. It was just the state in the joke."
RIGHT.
So now Facebook is has reduced my me-ness down to silly facts. I'm sure most people are familiar with the "nature vs nurture" argument. I think its a little of both. So many things factor into who we are and what we do. My jobs and education and junk like that are things that make up me, but if they disappeared, I would still exist.
I just hope Facebook doesn't tell a bad joke about me too.
GAH!!! THIS!!!! And hey we can just say we studied BS together. In fact, I should put that on my resume. 'Studied BS so as to better come up with BS for future job employers.' Sounds appropriate, right?
ReplyDeleteFor. REAL.
ReplyDelete